Neil reflects on induction day for the class of 2021/2022!

Life is full of possibilities. It’s also full of choices and you never really know, until later, whether you’ve made the right decision. But if it feels good, then that’s positive news. 

I made the decision that I wanted to join the Redhill SCITT programme and become a teacher, back in January. I had left the BBC, where I had been since 2000, in December, and while things felt exciting, it was scary too. Had I made the right decision? 

I contacted the team by e-mail, registering my interest in doing the course. The next day I had a lovely chat with Sally Barfoot (Director of the Redhill Teaching Hub) and then later, Adam Brett (SCITT Hub Lead). I was struck by their warmth and encouragement. They made me feel I could do it. They made me feel wanted.  

Induction day, the first day of my new career, my new life. I was nervous. I hadn’t been in a room with other people, due to Covid, for about 15 months. Did I still know how to speak to people, how to behave? It was great to be in the room, to be with people who were perhaps feeling the same as me.  

Due to Covid restrictions we had to sit in our bubbles. I got to meet my Art colleagues and I was pleased to find how nice they were. I also got a chance to chat with the only other trainee who will be working at the school where I’ll be based. New friendships were beginning. 

James Brown, the SCITT Partnership Director, gave a speech on Teams, to every new trainee across the partnerships. He used Stuart Pearce, the ex-Nottingham Forest and England defender, as an example of passion and resilience. Pearce is a hero of mine so another good omen about my life choice. 

We watched an inspiring Ted talk by Rita Pierson, an American teacher of 40 years. One line from her that has stuck with me was“Kids don't learn from people they don't like.” From the experience of being a student, this was true. How can you possibly learn from someone you don’t like?  

Talking of likeability, we also met Matt Woodford, the PGCE course lead from Nottingham Trent University, who I know will be another inspiring leader as the year goes on. It was exciting to think, as part of the course, I’ll be going to university again. I left the University of Northampton in the summer of 2000.  

Perhaps the most useful aspect of the day was speaking to the trainees from the current cohort. Alex and Katie have had a tough year due to Covid restrictions, but here they were, happy and still full of enthusiasm. They gave us some useful tips and what I’ll take away from that is making sure I look after myself. I need to be well both physically and mentally, otherwise, I’m not going to make it through. And here’s another good couple of omens; Alex is a Forest fan, like me, and Katie teaches my son at Redhill. He thinks the world of her. 

I left feeling positive. I know it’s going to be tough. But I also know along this journey I won’t be on my own. You never are. I was left with the feeling that all the leaders want us to do well and they’ll do everything to make that happen.  

It was the start of my new professional life and walking into the sunshine I felt that yes, I had made the right decision. Can’t wait to get started. 

Neil Heath, Art trainee 



Comments

  1. Wow Neil, what a great blog post and what comes over is how positive you are about those next steps. I am sure you have made the right choice and we are very excited that you are part of our next cohort of trainees - judging from induction its going to be another great year. Welcome on board.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Joline reflects on moving from Germany for her teacher training

Comparison is the thief of joy - Nadia Scola

'Is anybody there?': Training to teach with virtual students