Comparison is the thief of joy - Nadia Scola

 My Advice to New Trainees 

“Comparison is the thief of joy” 

SCITT 2020/2021 graduation was last week and as I stood amongst the most amazing cohort of people. I took a moment to question how I qualified, when all my peers around me were not only brilliant, but excelling in what they do best. As I drove home, this kept lingering in my head, and I began to compare myself to every single person in the cohort. As I sat down, I noticed a sign in my dining room “Comparison is the thief of joy”; this quote was said to me on my first day at NTU. So as an Art teacher, I naturally asked a fellow artist to create a sign for me as a keepsake for my teacher training year. This was a reminder to me to not be hard on myself as it’s not a helpful attitude to have. So, one of my biggest pieces of advice to you is please do not be hard on yourself. You have begun the hardest journey, and it won’t be easy, but it’s so worth it. Once you see the impact you have had on one individual, that buzz is addictive, and you forget all your worries and stress. Seeing the joy on that one person’s face is worth every tear and sleepless night you have ever had.  

“You will cry” 

Sally Barfoot said this at our first meeting, and my God, I did! I shed tears of joy, pride, and stress… and that is okay! What you must remember is that you all start together and finish together. All your journeys will be different and what you excel in will be different to others. Rather than comparing yourself, like little old me did, use this as an opportunity to lean on your peers and seek advice. That is what they are there for - to pick you up and support you. Some of your peers will be friends for life: I know I have already made some! So, if you need help, ask for it! even if it’s not your peers, ask your colleagues or the saint, Adam Brett! There will be people out that willing to and wanting to help you on your journey - don’t be alone in your worries.  

Folks, I didn’t want to write a blog post on getting yourself a diary, having a marking schedule, making sure you have communicated with your mentor and how to stay on top of your Pebblepad. These are things you will learn along the way. As a qualified teacher, I think we all get imposter syndrome, and you must remember teaching is an act; that you will perform in front of students every day. However, if you do not believe in yourself, then how can you deliver the absolute best lessons and provide a secure and safe environment for those pupils every single day? Confidence takes time, and you will have moments of doubting your ability, but the people who won’t doubt your ability are your peers, pupils, colleagues, and Adam and Sally! You have been offered a place on the best teacher training course with the best providers, ever! you can and will do this! You have the best support around you so use it! Go and smash it and I will be looking forward to working alongside you all!  

Nadia, Newly Qualified Art Teacher 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joline reflects on moving from Germany for her teacher training

'Is anybody there?': Training to teach with virtual students