Felicity gives her top tips when applying for a teaching job

Applying for teaching jobs is hard, it is time consuming and can often leave you feeling dejected. You give up a whole weekend to complete what you think is the best application anyone has ever seen and... you don’t even get an interview. It makes you feel rubbish and zaps your motivation and confidence. I’m pretty used to rejection, having spent several years pursuing a career as an actor, it goes with the territory, but it never gets any easier. I think the key to combating knockbacks is to take the positives and move on to the next opportunity. 

To give you a bit of background, I am a 39-year-old drama trainee, with over a decade of teaching experience in private schools. However, in order for me to progress in my career and follow my passion to teach in mainstream schools, I needed to gain QTS. In 2019, I made the decision to bite the bullet and begin my training. Not a decision I made lightly, but one that I do not regret. Whilst, I had practical experience in the classroom I didn’t have the pedagogical knowledge required to become an outstanding teacher. My training on the Redhill SCITT programme has been outstanding, I am thoroughly enjoying my journey and the support I have received has been invaluable. Although a year seems a long time, in the teaching world, time seems to disappear before your eyes and before I knew it, I’d completed my first term. It was time to start thinking about the future and looking for jobs.  

So, where do you start? In my opinion TES is brilliant, the website is easy to navigate, it is regularly updated, and you can upload your CV which can save a lot of time for future applications. Once you find a job that interests you it’s time to start doing your research. I think it’s important to find out as much as you can about the school before you start investing hours in completing an application. Ask yourself if you can see yourself working there? If you are satisfied that it’s the right school for you, then it’s worth putting in the hard work. I have been fortunate enough to secure myself a job for September, which I am thrilled about. 

So, for what it’s worth, here are my top tips: 

  • I think it’s nice to demonstrate that you have done your homework by referencing something that appeals to you about the school. It could be the school ethos or key values. It shows that you are keen and that you have really thought about your application.  
  • Read the person specification thoroughly and make sure you mention each point, tailoring your skills to the job.   
  • Sell yourself, this is hard and may seem unnatural, but you need to grab the opportunity to tell them why you think you’re right for the job. Just go for it but remember to back it up with your experiences. 
  • Before you submit, ask someone to proofread your application - it’s always good to have a second opinion. Ask your peers on the course to have a look or your mentor, I’m sure they’d be happy to help. 
  • If you get invited for an interview, make sure you are fully prepared. If you have to do a lesson, make sure you know what year group you will be teaching, how many pupils are in the class and if there are students that have any SEND needs that you should be aware of. If you haven’t been provided with all the information you need, don’t be afraid to ask for it.  
  • Be enthusiastic, don’t shy away from showing them how keen you are.  
  • When answering questions give examples, we all have plenty to draw on from our training.  
  • There is always a safeguarding question, remember, you have to share information and that you can’t promise confidentiality.  
  • Be yourself, trust in your ability and remember you wouldn’t be on the course if you weren’t good enough.  

It’s a tough process but worth it in the end, the right job will come along - good luck and stay positive! 

“Every time I thought I was being rejected from something good, I was actually being redirected to something better” Dr. Steve Maraboli 

Felicity Curtis, Drama trainee 


Comments

  1. What a great post Felicity - I am really pleased you have managed to secure a post with us and will continue to make a contribution to our communities. Your ethics and commitment always shine through and will have been very clear at interview - your advice about being yourself is spot on and you are so right......rejection does not mean you are not good enough - it often means its just not the right post for you so use what you have learnt from the experience to move on to the next opportunity (which might be even better!).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

'Is anybody there?': Training to teach with virtual students

Joline reflects on moving from Germany for her teacher training

Sally, our Teaching School Director, talks about her own experience of teacher training